Monday, November 5, 2007

Fashion Ads: Smart or Lazy?

Recently, I found myself working on a fashion brand.

The thought of saying something in a category that seems content with saying nothing was a little bit intimidating.

Which got me thinking: are these fashion companies saying more with less, or are they scared of saying something wrong?

It's no secret that fashion is design. And what better way to sell good design than to highlight it? Simply put, good design should speak for itself. Toss in a beautiful model or two, and you're good to go. Done and done. Just mail it in.

Beautiful people + beautiful design = beautiful ad. Right?

But what does this say about the brands? Us as consumers? I have to assume that this approach is working, given the fact that everybody's doing it. But wouldn't it be nice to see one that actually stands for something? Anything.

My partner and I did everything in our power to deliver on this idea. And while we wound up saying something, it was more of a celebration than a statement or point of difference.

Bottom line: I left the project just as confused as I was when I started it. Can anything smart be said about fashion?

The verdict is still out.

No comments: